Having dentures means learning a whole new way to take care of your teeth and gums, but it’s just as important to care for your dentures as it was to take care of your regular teeth. While dentures take some getting used to, the most important thing you need to learn is how to clean them and how to maintain them, and what to do if something goes wrong.
The clinics that offer professional general dentistry in Geelong will help you get started, but in the meantime, it’s good for you to know some “basics” about wearing dentures so that they stay as comfortable as possible all the time.
Cleaning Your Dentures
Regular cleaning of your dentures is crucial if you want them to fit properly and remain comfortable to wear. The good news is that it isn’t difficult or time-consuming to keep your dentures clean, but you still have to remember to do it.
How often should you clean them? Most experts recommend twice-a-day cleaning, but once a day should be the minimum you clean your dentures. When you’re ready to clean them, remove them from your mouth and rinse them with warm – not hot – water. Then, take a soft-bristle brush made just for dentures and gently scrub them to remove plaque and food particles. You can use either mild soap or a solution made just for cleaning dentures.
If you do not wear your dentures at night, let them soak in water until you’re ready to wear them again. Never let your dentures dry out or it can change their shape and make them uncomfortable. You can also soak them in a solution made just for dentures. In fact, you should always use products on your dentures made just for dentures. Never use any type of product that is made for regular teeth and gums. It can damage the dentures and make them much less comfortable to wear.
Maintaining Your Dentures
In addition to cleaning your dentures once or twice a day, there are other tips you can follow that help keep your dentures super comfortable and in great shape. Dental clinics that provide dentures in Geelong will teach you about most of these, but here are the important tips to remember:
- For best results in preventing build-up of food and plaque, rinse your dentures out with warm water each time you eat or drink something.
- Handle your dentures with care. Remember, they are fragile and can break easily. If they do break, don’t try to fix them yourself. Call your dentist in Geelong and schedule an appointment so that the clinic can make the repairs that are needed.
- Never sleep in your dentures.
- Remember not to use either regular toothpaste or whitening products. Regular toothpaste can scratch the dentures, and whitening products will change the colour of your dentures.
- Use a soft-bristle brush and mild soap to remove the adhesive from your dentures each night. When you’re ready to reapply the adhesive, make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions for doing so.
- When soaking dentures overnight, use either warm or cool water. Hot water is bad for dentures.
The right denture clinic in Geelong can provide you with other tips to help keep your dentures comfortable and intact for much longer, and you should never hesitate to contact your own clinic if you have any concerns, problems, or questions.
Your Dentist Is There to Help
Seeing your dentist every six months is just as important now as it ever was, but of course, if you have any problems in between visits, you should never hesitate to contact the office. Always contact them immediately if you suffer with any of the following problems:
- You notice you have bad breath on a regular basis.
- You start experiencing bleeding in your mouth.
- You start getting mouth sores.
- Your dentures look worn-out or broken.
- Your dentures make any type of noise when you eat or speak.
- Your dentures slip regularly or don’t fit properly.
- Your dentures start to get uncomfortable.
In other words, if you notice something is just not right with your dentures, it’s time to see your dentist. When dentures are clean and are being taken care of on a regular basis, they’ll fit perfectly and be comfortable in your mouth. If any of these things change, it is definitely time to call your dentist.
Finding top-notch affordable dentures in Geelong isn’t difficult, and these same dental clinics will help you properly care for your dentures so they can last much longer. Even if you take excellent care of your dentures, you’ll still need to replace them occasionally, but in the meantime, you want them to be as comfortable as possible and fit the way they are supposed to fit. A trusted dental clinic will help you with everything related to your dentures, enabling you to wear them for a very long time.